M1. Dreams are important, whether you like the idea or not, because they help you access what is going on in your unconscious mind. And you will do far better to be in accord with your unconscious mind in the long run than trying to go against it.
Two observations occur to me here, being:
- Things have a way of being as they are despite everyone’s best efforts.
- You are probably not the person you imagine yourself to be.
Yes these may seem wild ideas, but I can only quote the scientist Haldane, who said:
“The world is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.”
In support of all of the above I want to draw a parallel to illustrate my viewpoint as follows…
Man’s Dominion over Nature
For many years now there has been a debate going on that started in the ecology movements in the 1970’s and is still gaining momentum in areas of global warming, over-fishing, over-logging, and over, and against, just about anything else that could be described as Nature.
It’s been a hard pill for many to swallow, because companies want profits, people want gasoline and there is a common belief, in the West, that God gave Man dominion over Nature. It kind of says that in the Bible in Genesis 1:26, and in Genesis 1:28 it actually uses the word “subdue” as well, and you can find various other references elsewhere.
So, for whatever reason, our geographically based societies think they own the earth and everything in it.
To be Accord not to Subdue
My point here is that almost all societies have believed for a very long time that they are here to control Nature and subdue it to their will. If you look around any major city, anywhere, you will understand what I mean.
However, many people are now slowly being convinced that working in accord with Nature may yield a better long term benefit than the current way of subduing Nature.
You and Your Dreams
The parallel I spoke of earlier, to you and your dreams is so obvious, but let me spell it out:
Society is to Nature as You are to Your Dreams
I suddenly find I need to cut corners here to make this post a little shorter, so let me state a few things I believe to be true…
- You are your conscious mind, and your dreams are a gateway to your unconscious mind (Both Freud and Jung agreed on this)
- You do not control, or have dominion over, your unconscious mind any more than society controls Nature eg. the weather (although we are making progress with unconscious minds and with the weather too)
- You (your conscious mind) doesn’t “own” your unconscious mind, because your unconscious mind has its own way of doing things
- Your unconscious mind has a profound impact on everything you do, think and say. (eg. just ask yourself where your last thought came from)
So again the point I want to make is that just as societies are learning to benefit more by working with Nature: You will also do better working in accord with your unconscious mind, as accessed by your dreams.